How Serious Is Your Baby’s Milk Allergy?

Since many people do not show signs of infant milk when they are young, information about this condition is considered to be minimal. Some people may associate symptoms of baby milk allergy to lactose intolerance, which is actually quite different.

To better understand milk allergies, the source of allergens found in milk should be known. The most common allergens from milk are proteins. There are many types of proteins found here, but whey and casein are two of the major allergens that contribute to infant milk allergy.

Whey accounts for about 20% of the total milk proteins, but since it is heat sensitive, one who is allergic to whey protein can drink dairy products prepared in a boiled or evaporated milk process. Another type of protein, called casein, constitutes the remaining 80% of milk proteins, which can never be eliminated by boiling or evaporating. It is also one of the main components of cheese, a dairy product originally derived from milk.

It is safe to say that your baby is allergic to milk when signs of milk allergy come from the baby formula you feed your baby. However, it is always better to consult your doctor before changing the formula dairy products.

B52CCX.jpg

Milk Allergy in Babies

So what are the signs of milk allergy? Symptoms of baby milk allergy may vary depending on the severity of your baby’s condition. Vomiting, diarrhea, eczema or hives, stomach cramps, runny nose, wheezing and cough are some of the symptoms associated with this allergy.

To determine the severity of your baby’s cow milk allergy, attention should be paid to the time period when symptoms begin to appear. If your baby immediately vomits, takes a hive or eczema, wheezes and shows all the above-mentioned symptoms about 5-10 minutes after taking milk, it is said to have the most severe case of Type 1 milk allergy.

If symptoms occur a few hours after ingestion, your child has Type 2 milk allergy. Type 3 milk allergy, or at least severe milk allergy, can be detected if the symptoms do not appear until 24 hours have passed.

My youngest son Kasen has been allergic to Type 1 milk since he has just spent a month. For the first time as a mother, I was exposed to traumatic thoughts to raise my child with severe baby milk allergy. At first I thought I did something wrong when I was pregnant with her, but the doctor told me that the origin of such allergies could never be determined, except for genetics.
 

After giving his a baby formula free from casein and whey proteins, Kasen was able to thrive well.I was able to read some notes in advance on how to care for a colic baby.

Kasen was very colicky when she had her allergic symptoms but with the help of the book, I was able to address what she needs in order to make her stop crying. Although the book is not that comprehensive according to other mothers who have read it, to me it’s still a lifesaving gift considering that it’s my first time to be a mother. Kasen ‘s milk allergy baby symptoms might be gone for now and she’s now a happy little toddler, but I sure can count on the book for my second child due this summer.

Source : https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/milk-allergy/symptoms-causes/syc-20375101

Source: https://www.kidschildrenshealth.com/cow-milk-allergy-in-children/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *